Friday, April 4, 2014

The Hypocrite; My Ethical Chaos

I am a hypocrite. There I said it.  If there was a twelve step program for hypocrisy eradication, this clearly would be my first step.  I can see you all fidgety on folding chairs in some slightly musty church basement, listening to me come clean on this, my fall from ethic grace.  

I would say it with conviction; but half hoping that one of you would step forward and say "No, no, honey...not a hypocrite- just a women making the best decisions she can as information is thrown at her..."

Yes, I would like you to say that, but I would know it is lie.  And not just a lie for my benefit, but one that exonerates you as well.  See, you are here as well in this cramped, unremarkable space.  The smell of coffee and powdered creamer fills the room as the fluorescent light flutter in rhythm to my halted voice. You are here...

The story unfolds...
I like cosmetics. I enjoy wearing makeup. Occasionally, I'll even go as far as false eyelashes. I love the 'sex kitten' softness of that look. Mostly, I just go for a good moisturizer (Estee Lauder 'Idealist' has been my staple for a decade. Cool name too. And coolness matters), and a light foundation (Clinique), eyeliner (Maybelline) and Mascara (Clinique).  Having come of maturity in the late eighties, when animal testing was being abolished in cosmetics, I chose companies that I believed represented my ideals that testing makeup on animals was ridiculous and unduly cruel.  

One recent, fateful night, I spent an evening with my nephew and his girlfriend.  The girlfriend mentioned trying to find a animal cruelty free mascara.  I naively asserted that Estee Lauder and Clinique were animal cruelty free.  She rebutted that my knowledge was wrong. I was polite but undeterred as I was sure I knew better. These companies had at one time been champions in the end of animal testing.  I was curious, though, and an internet search revealed my utter ignorance. Or perhaps not my ignorance, but the calculated misrepresentation of companies that changed their policies and chose not to inform their customer base.

Estee Lauder and Clinique are both entering the Chinese marketplace and as such, they are required by Chinese law to perform tests of their products on animals.  So they are animal testing.  Instead of choosing principles over cash...instead of informing their customers of their change in stance...
But the saddest aspect of this is that they are not alone! 

Products that have been safely used here for years are being retested to sell in China. Insanity. Cruel Insanity.

Let's say I got a dog from a pound, took it home, and kicked it repeatedly to see what happens when I kick it. I know what happens when I kick it from previous kicking. But I'm going to do it again...just to see. Would you care? Of course. That would make me a bad person. Cruel. Mean. The moniker monster might even be dropped.

And that is what I am. Monster. But not because I kick dogs...but because I wear mascara that supports a policy where the Draize eye test is still administered to rabbits eyes until they ulcer and bleed, blinding the the later 'discarded' animal.  

I can't participate in this, so I have been searching for 'cruelty free' cosmetics.  There is great information on the internet and I'm happy to report that I have found new companies to fill my Estee Lauder, Clinique, and Maybelline shoes.

But here is where my ethics get foggy.  Here is why I am before you today as a HYPOCRITE.  My hair dresser uses Redken (tests on animals) and I love my hair dresser.  I use bleach in my white laundry (Clorox tests on animals).  I use razor blades made by Gillette (tests on animals).  That is just the tip of animal cruelty iceburg. From here it gets worse...

I love the sensual feel of leather. Suede is nice too! I love a good steak.  Oh yes!  Bring on the prime rib! Spiral ham brings me unadulterated bliss.  I adore eggs. And butter. Yes. Sweet creamy cow utter butter. Oh, let's not forget ice cream.  So, I am totally OK with some animal cruelty.  Well, not really OK with it, but accepting of it as a cost of what I enjoy.  

Does this make me ridiculous?  Should I abandon the cruelty free cosmetic ideal simply because I show complete hypocrisy in other similar circles?  

I say nay.  Apathy comes from taking the all or none approach.  So, yes, I am far from perfect. A HYPOCRITE. But a conscious one who can take tiny solace that at least her beauty did not cost an animal its life. 

Update:  I have decided to change hairdressers-  Aveda is cruelty free.  Just shows that positive change is always an option.

2 comments:

The Fragile Egg said...

Ah, society blinds us into naivety. We like to think that as all of us are members of the humans race, that we would have shared values. But I'm just ignorant. For now, anyway. Corporate profits over responsibility towards the value of life, of all living things. Who then can break this cycle? All of us can and need to, to be the agents for change. Thanks for your passion on this!

Anonymous said...

We are creatures; no matter how hard we try to deny or ignore it. All creatures consume other creatures in order to live. Lichens are the only exception I know of; they can eat rocks.

Life is still Life no matter what form it takes. Broccoli is no less alive or sentient than a chicken.

The simple truth is, all life feeds on life, all life is sustained by the death of other lifeforms.

That said, there is a fundamental difference between taking a life to sustain your own and torturing another lifeform for vanity or commercial profit.

There is nothing unethical about eating that chicken (as long as it was humanely raised).