Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Spiders Up my Nose...and Between my Toes! Waning Pink Moon Slumber

"You are not really here..." my husband said to me as we both sat on chaise lounges in the bright sunlight.
"What?" I asked reflexively. I heard him, but that made no sense. Such a Buddhist thing to say. So very much like him. But something felt wrong with me and right with his words.
"You are not really here." he repeated and panic set in my flesh.  He was right. I bolted upright, screaming.

And with this screaming, I awake.  At first, I grip the bed, not sure where I am.  Then I remember and instantly touch my nose.  No spiders! Whew! 

I settle back into the warm covers and look at the stars above. A breeze stirs and the wind chimes play. Next to me, the Buddhist lays sleeping with his mouth somewhat ajar.  I ponder why he does not have fear. Not of the dark night. Not of the lack of a tent. Not of the foxes, skunks, and other nocturnal critters.  Not of spiders. How can he not be afraid of spiders?

I sigh, shift my body, agitated in my restless state, and turn towards him. I imagine spiders parachuting towards us, from the magnolia above.  A flower petal cascades down, as if on cue, and lands near his chest. I imagine an army of super tiny spiders aboard, landing on our sleeping bag beach, ready to storm his semi open mouth and my dangerously defenseless nose.

I sigh again. Turn to the heavens and try to remember why I agreed to this outdoor sleeping without a tent in the first place.  The weather was perfect for it. And despite my groundless spider fears, the insect population after our unduly cold winter was non existent.  Yes.  If ever there was a night to sleep under the stars, it was this one. 

So why can't I relax?  Why I am I sure spiders are coming for me from all angles? I instinctively touch my nose again. All clear. 

Why did I agree to this?

The answer arrives at dawn, when I lay cuddled into the Buddhist's chest, spider free and stunned at the beauty unfolding before my eyes.  A star or two doggedly cling to the heavens, but the sun is on her trajectory.  Everything looks new and dewy.  Birds start to sing "I am awake! Are you awake?"

I smile.  "Yes.  I am awake. Oh yes!!  I am most definitely awake!"

2 comments:

The Fragile Egg said...

This is one of the most uplifting things I read in a while. So full of optimism and love of life. Excellent!! And so well written. Love the: I imagine an army of super tiny spiders aboard, landing on our sleeping bag beach, ready to storm his semi open mouth and my dangerously defenseless nose.

Thank for this wisdom and optimism. Be awake. Lets all be awake!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful! Honestly beautiful.