Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Scheherazadress!! A new identity for a new moon, so long overdue...


I've been remiss.  I've been in my own head. I've been fretting. I've been unsure. 

The moon has been cycling, waxing to waning or vice versa depending on the date and I've been in clouds...
figuratively and literally.  The moon has been very shy in my neck of the woods. It is partly the angle of rotation, partly the weather, partly the time of rise and set. Basically, the moon has been missing from my life for a few months. Or more accurate, I have been missing from the moon.

The new moon was on the 26th. The Sturgeon Moon they call this one. Hardly, a romantic name.  Fish Moon. "Hey Honeydoo, let's cuddle by the light of the big ol' Fish Moon...Pucker up..."  ewwww.

No one has written songs about this moon as they have about the Blue Moon and Harvest Moon...

"Feeesssheeee Moooooon. Oh wonderful Feeessheeee Moooooon. Beautiful Sturgeon of Lakes so Deeeeeeep".   ewwwww. Again. ewwwww.

No choice but to rename it!!!  
I dub thee the Scheherazade Moon.

Let me explain...


Four years ago, when asked what I did for a living I would answer with an unsure "Artist?"  I never quite felt the title was mine and I wasn't even sure what I meant.  I do ART.  I DO art. What does that even mean?  The majority of the public does Art every now and again.  Why is that my definition?  I would love to use the term "Creationist" as I love to create and bring creativity to every endeavor I undertake; however, that term has political and religious implications that are so NOT me.

On a different social media platform, I coined the use of the term "to scheherazade" as to embody the creation of something wonderful from basically nothing. It was a reference to the mythical princess Scheherazade, who spun colorful tales nightly to beguile her husband, the King, who was bent on beheading every wife the next morning. She made fantasy become real. She made something out of nothing.  She spun her tales for one thousand and one nights until the King was very much in love with her. "To Scheherazade" is to make something wonderful and whole out of nothing.  It is to create with the intention of bringing joy. 

So, next time I'm asked about what I do for a living...

"I am a scheherazadress!!"

...and I'll be doing it by the light of the Scheherazade Moon

2 comments:

The Fragile Egg said...

To create with the intention of bringing joy. How beautiful! Joy to others, joy to yourself, joy to humanity. We could all use more joy. Love it. Although I do kind of like the fishy moon song....

Anonymous said...

An artist, yes. And now a lyricist too! :^)