Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Darkness; the New Beaver Moon

The night has been dark.

I woke from a nightmare last night with a start. They say you can't die in your dream, but I was doing just that. I woke in the blackness, unsure. Then my partner made his unique snort purr and I knew it was not death...just darkness. Heavy.  Heavy darkness.

The night has been long.

Daylight savings time ended; the morning is more hopeful, but dusk circles early and captures us unprepared.  I am eating too much, like a bear preparing to hibernate.  Although I am in a nesting mode, I am also sleeping too much.  I am fidgety, waiting, restless.  

I am beaver. 

Hurrying to make my home winter friendly, safe, secure, warm.  Scurrying to find the comfort and joy in the coming cold and dark months.  This moon and the following Cold moon are the darkest in the year; daylight is still decreasing as the air grows chillier.  Perhaps that is why the solstice was celebrated so joyfully.  The promise of light overpowering darkness. Who couldn't find joy in that?

But first, we must prepare...




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

As close to a poem as I've seen you get here. Beautiful, dark, rich

brenda said...

Thank you. I curtsy.