Thursday, September 11, 2014

Moonrise Kingdom; the Full Harvest Moon

I shift in my seat, bored, as I wait for the show to start.  We had arrived early to claim a good seat, and time was moving painfully slow.  I glance to my right at my spouse and smile as I realize my pet name for him, The Buddhist, is spot on.  He sits calmly with his eyes open and his shoulders erect. By comparison, I fidget, shift, slouch and sigh.

A couple near us is making quiet conversation about someone named Sheila.  It creates a kind of white noise to the otherwise silent space.  More people arrive, find seats, and finally the house lights dim, if ever so eloquently so.

We are on a cliff, one hundred feet above the ocean, facing East in Acadia National Park.  The Buddhist and I are on camp chairs, but most others have stadium seats or blankets.  We all seem to be perched here for the same show: the Full Harvest Moon Rise, yet that can't be confirmed as there were no tickets, no posted show times.

Obscured from view by the cliff, the last of the sunset fades into the west giving the sky and sea a serene sepia tinge.  I grow expectant as I have never seen a Moonrise. In my usual haunts,the Moon must top trees or mountains for me to see it.  I wonder how it will begin and think to ask those around us if anyone has seen this before.  But the couple has stopped talking and the quiet is enveloping.  

The foretold time of the moon rise is at hand and both my partner and I scan the horizon for signs. Will it be a glow?  Or just a big shiny quarter rising from the sea?

Minutes pass, then tens of minutes, then a half hour.  Did the all knowing internet give us false information?  Are we missing some subtle shift to indicate that the Moon was on its way?  I gaze sharper, aware that no one else is moving or shifting.  I see a star, then several, as peace sweeps over me.  I note my stillness.  The impatience is gone.

As the sky blackens around us, a chill sets into my bones. I see a pocket of sky clear and there, briefly, is the Trickster Moon, already risen and going about its trajectory. The sky closes like a curtain.  The show was over before it had begun.

"There" I say, pointing.  The Buddhist nods, having seen it too.  Low clouds on the horizon, unseen in the changing twilight, had concealed the very thing we sought.

"That was beautiful" he says and I smile and agree.






4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love reading this post today. Wonderful. Inspiring. I could feel your energy. Thank you for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Whatever the stated reason - it is wonderful to be able to sit in silence, focused on something besides the voice in our heads. Sounds like you are enjoying your adventure!

The Fragile Egg said...

The cadence of life and nature are one of constant movement and unpredictability. To find beauty in all around us, especially when the unexpected happens, is a wonderful trait. Thanks for sharing the show, as well as your very poignant review!

Bren said...

thanks everyone for your comments! Sharing insights helps us all move forward.