Thursday, December 5, 2013

A Flurry of Fun!

Over Thanksgiving, my daughter, husband and I ventured into the college town near us for some holiday meandering and window shopping.  One store drew my daughter in, and of course, hubby and I followed.  The store in question was a wonderland of Christmas hoopla; I immediately eyed a garland of intricate paper snowflakes.  Beneath it was a 'kit' to purchase to make your own spectacular garland.

A Flurry of Fun! read the caption on the $16.95 kit.  Hmmmm. I pondered.  Hubby has not been so pleased with my recent spending, perhaps I could save money and get a beautiful snowflake garland?  My daughter confirmed my impulse by stating she was thinking of getting the same kit because the garland was so pretty.   Aha!  The garland had twenty-some hipster potential!  And it was affordable.  I snatched one to my breast as if hordes were beating a path to it.

I could barely contain my glee as I purchased the kit.  I knew my husband's schedule and was aware of a window of time. Perfect!  I would put on some carols, get a glass of wine and build an amazing snowflake vine.  Jingle bells....

It started out on a good note.  I punched my snowflakes out of the pre-scored paper.  I sang along to Johnny Mathas and Nat King Cole.  Then good vibe screeched to a halt.  Apparently, I needed 'glue dots'.  Everything you need to build a garland excluded glue.  

I wondered if we had any glue.  Looked around. Nope.  Not even in the kitchen drawer.

Aha! I had two sided tape upstairs!  Hurray! Snowflake opulence was back on schedule.

Or so I thought.  I made three snowflakes wrong wondering why it didn't look like the lovely kit graphic.  Fourth snowflake was good, but the carols had to go.  After finding better lighting and reading glasses, I managed six decent snowflakes.  But I was done.  My head hurt and they were not looking magical and intricate.  No. My first thought was that these frozen crystals were born in radioactive water. Lumpy. Weird. Ugly.

A flurry of fun?  Ummmm. No.

But another glass of wine seems like a mighty fine idea....


  

1 comment:

Pete said...

Alas, but it is the optimism in which you approach it that brings the true beauty to life. While at times, there are challenges along the road, keep the optimism and keep the effort and along that road, beauty will always be there.