Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Cosmic Soup


Do you feel nurtured? I only ask because last night in my dreams, I made cosmic soup. Was it for you?  I like to think so.  I would nourish you if I could. If I knew how.

In my dream, I methodically cut beet greens off of the bulbs that we will eat the next day or so. I also chopped celery and carrots and introduced them to the clear broth.  I dug through the fridge looking for other veggies...those leftover bits and such that could be added to make a richer soup. I added green onions, red onions, cilantro, and a few fresh basil leaves. I found asparagus tips and a sad, near wilted head of broccoli.  I cut and chopped and watched as the pieces dropped into the boiling water.  It felt like love.

I pondered adding a jalapeno.  Why not? I mused. We could all use a little spice.  The chicken bones from Thursday's Valentine's dinner were spied on the fridge shelf.  I broke the chicken spine in my hands to release the bone marrow.  Bone marrow is the foundation of a healing broth.  I watched the bones sink under the vegetable leaves, their magic nutrition ready to leach.  I added salt, pepper, and then breathed in the earthy aroma of my boiling harvest.

I felt a satisfaction in knowing this would feed you, heal you...comfort you.

I woke startled at the detail and vivid clarity of the dream.  I wondered who the soup was for. All of us? The gods of my imagination? You?

As I write this, the smell of my broth boiling in the kitchen wafts to my nostrils. Made much the same way as the dream version; with wholesome vegetables and chicken bones.  Made for healing.  Made with love.

There is a bowl waiting with your name on it.  Feel nourished.  I wish it for you.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've got some tofu. We can make a batch of stone soup.

Bren said...

Can't say that tofu and I are strong allies...but it nourishes. Let me strain my broth and get that big pot out...
Soup time. Mmmmmmmmmmmm.........